I did a first test with the Oatmeal Blurp mold tonight. The test was partially successful with many things learned.
- The mold basically works. It creates the desired shape.
- The mold design to make the “tightener nipples” gave much better results than expected.
- The mold has a bow in it ( or ? ) causing a shallow spot which yields a thin area in the finished piece.
- The stock silicone rubber components (no additives) cured to a hardness value that was too low. The resulting piece was floppy and would not function as needed.
- The protuberant mold screws led to difficulties in applying the putty knife to spreading and leveling the goop.
For iteration 2 ……
- Rebuild the mold to insure that it’s flat and eliminate or countersink the screws.
- Make the mold plates from a material that is less brittle than the acrylic currently used.
- Figure out the right combination of additives so that the finished piece is stiffer. Make the mold deeper to make the finished piece thicker also?